Saturday 16 June 2007

Weekend fast approaching

Saturday is market day - and there's no better way to discover a city than to explore its market. So many colours, faces, sounds, and of course smells!

The fihs displays are impressive -- you can still find HUGE fishes here, groupers that are at least 1m in length, parrotfish about 50cm or more (are you taking note Sonia?! ;o)), HUMONGOUS crayfish, rockhinds, snappers, lots of squid, octopus, and fishes I have never heard of being eaten before...


Julie and I oogled the stands, trying to determine who was selling the best tuna -- some of the sellers aren't doing themselves any favours , at least in my humble opinion, by sort of throwing all the fish onto the ice without some attention paid to presentation.


On we went to the vegetable and fruit section - you kinda have to do a few rounds 'til you have found your bearings in terms of who is selling the best veggies, what stands has the freshest herbs, who has ripe papayas versus one you can let ripen on your shelf for a couple of days... it's quite the detective work ;o) and it is so much of what makes shopping at the market **FUN** :o)


I then amble along the crafts sections -- lots of pearls, lots of coral :o( :o( :o( and lots of shells too :o( :o( .... though vendors when asked are quick to point out that most of the corals and shells come from the Philippines and/or Indonesia... not from around the island itself... I am keen to find a couple of presents for family and friends though given how I'd like to keep corals and shells in the sea where they belong, my choice is drastically reduced. Add to that that prices are simply horrific ... you end up looking a lot and not much else!!!


We have a coffee and eat two very ripe 'pommes canelle' and drive on to the women's cooperative. They sell heaps of arts and crafts made out of palm fronds ... I am REALLY tempted to buy a beautiful bag, though worry canadian customs may not be so keen on me bringing that home -- must check what the website says about that or maybe even ask...


Julie and I then spend about an hour preparing lunch. On the menu, traditional tahitian fish salad, riz nature, and tuna sashimi with a soy ginger sauce. I am telling you food here is ridiculous!!! The traditional tahitian fish salad goes something as follows -- using a thing cloth (or in this instance a dish towel) squeeze the coconut milk out of finely ground fresh coconut, marinate little chunks of raw tuna in lemon juice for about 10 mins (then discard excess juice), finely chop about two tomatoes, and 2 green onions, cut some cilantro -- mix and put in fridge for 10 minutes.


EAT :o) YUM I tell you --- it is all finger licking GOOD :o) Plus the sun is finally filtering through the clouds adding the extra special goodness to it all.

Then on to work --- more images ... still the same one in this instance... I am not satisfied with what my image classifications are spewing out --- grrrr :o

In the afternoon Julie and I go for a stroll -- and I take some picture of the little bay along which the institute is located -- rather nice don't you think :o)


Now I need to finish a few things before we go and bake a few 'rocher noix de coco' for Patricia's birthday and I pack for tomorrow's early departure to l'Ile des Pins.

Lots of happy beams your way :o)

No comments: