Thursday 13 September 2007

the sun's still shining .. and the salmon dancing.


Not a salmon picture this is -- I confess; but a pretty picture to start your day nevertheless I hope. It was taken on Mayne Island at the end of July.

About salmon though....yesterday, my friend John sent me the link to one of the most hilarious (and space chicken-ey) videos I have seen in a long time. It is really fun (and the pufferfish is just hilarious), though what a shame they couldn't get the species right!!!! Especially considering the text is actually pretty clever and i guess raises awareness about the salmon's plight !!!

My friend Jennifer and I were just talking about how given the animation quality there must have been quite a bit of money that went into it -- she's going to blog about it (so keep an eye on the website!) and give them hell for getting the species wrong .... hehehehe!

It's actually quite fascinating the attention marine beasties are getting in the name of economic promotion. TELUS' campaign is all about animals in general - of late though many of their campaigns use seahorses, or (coral reef) fishes to sell their products. Now I am not too sure what a reef fish and a phone may have in common but... it makes for colourful ads and I guess that's part of the selling package! I was going to include a link to one but their website only has a Canada goose on there....
This also reminds me of an add I saw a while ago for some washing machine which convinced you that it was 'deeply different' by having the inside of it turn into an ocean - socks got transformed into sponge reefs, mittens into whale sharks! I must confess I thought it was very clever and... I really quite liked it! hmmm - I miss the oceans and the fishies

Right enough philosophizing about washing machines (though never too much philosophising about the oceans - hehehehe!) - it's 10 am and I better get to work. On the agenda today, more papers to read so I can finalise (FINALLLY!!!!) a draft of my second chapter - hopefully by next Wednesday it'll be in good enough shape that I'll feel comfortable circulating it to my committee. Fingers crossed. Also need to do more contract work .... The sun beating down on my bed is so tempting though ... sigh ;o)

No comments: