Sunday 6 April 2008

Digesta retention times and spring


weird sort of title eh? Well those are very much the two things that are on my mind these days. It's honestly time for spring - i need, want warmth, and sunshine.... and we *did* have a week of absolute gorgeous blue skies! after getting CRAZY hail last weekend... followed by madness rain, mixed with hail this weekend. At least we're helping to fill the water reservoirs I suppose...

As for digesta retention times (DRTs) - well i needed to know those, so I could calculate the consumption rates of my green turtles scooting around in my National park in Hawaii. It became quite the crazy affair, as I did find a paper that gave me intake rates, however to make it relevant in the context of my model, I needed to have individual turtles' weights from which the DRTs were derived... which weren't listed... so I sought out to calculate those... 'nyways, needless to say, proves to show, when you think something is going to take you about 1 day, it often ends up being about 2! Then again, I did get info for my reef fish groups relatively easily, so let's hope that when I now move on to invertebrates (e.g., urchins and crustaceans) it won't be too much of a nightmare. Fingers crossed. I am dreading having to think about how to convert algal cover into estimates of biomass, especially given how different algae can be: short and stout, long and spindly, long and tufty; like hair really!...

...but it's good, my head is into work these days. Thought a lot about comments my supervisor gave me on my second chapter, and that's pretty much wrapped up for good now :o) - at least 'til I hear back from the journal.

The highlight of my past two weeks were performances at the Vancouver Symphony as part of the Beethoven festival. On the 28th I went to see Lang Lang - it was incredible. Even more so because I was accompanied by my lovely friend Leigh, and we truly had a wonderful time.
Then this past Friday I had the incredible fortune of experiencing a performance by the great Anne Sophie Mutter - there are hardly words to describe what it felt like to see her play: transporting, raw, touching your soul in soft yet powerful ways. She just is absolutely formidable - playing some notes so quietly, yet so distinctly; other parts with such incredible vigour. All infused with so much passion and grace. Unforgettable.
...hmm, still dreaming!

No comments: