Wednesday 29 August 2007

Nelson Mandela

Every morning before I get started with work I've taken to reading the BBC World News - it's usually relatively succinct and covers it all. One story that touched me today is the unveiling of Nelson Mandela's statue in London opposite the Houses of Parliament. The mayor of London present at the events said something that stuck with me - "Long after we are forgotten, you will be remembered for having taught the word one amasing truth; that you can achieve justice without vengeance."

In stark contrast to World News how about this bit of video!! no comment ;o)

The weather is gorgeous today - blue, blue skies, 29 degrees and radiant sun. I must admit today I am struggling to stay focused on drawing up species list of all the creepy crawlies that occur at that park I mentioned yesterday, KAHO, in Hawai'i. Some classical music and a cup of Earl Grey should help though :o)

...and well in the end I gave in ;o) ... and am feeling all the better for it; hehehe! Savas, his friend Cristiane and I ended up going kayaking to the arboretum from lake Union... and what a paddling trip it was! Although the cut between Lake Union and Union Bay is fraught with crazy sailors, yachts and other boats that have you confronting some serious chop, the arboretum waters themselves are comparable to a glassy mirror. It's truly beautiful: water lilies everywhere, herons striking a pose as you turn into smaller tributaries, ducks flashing their bums plucking at the more than abundant seaweeds (I actually think there are a few too many nutrients in that water!)... and the peacefulness of it all... yet we're merely meters away from the crazy 520 interstate - the bridge under which you've actually got to paddle it you want to enter the arboretum waters...

Et pour finir la soirée en beauté as we'd say in French Savas and I had dinner at this newly established fabulous restaurant in Queen Anne - according to me it boasts some of the best pizza ever... though that may be because i am serioulsy pizza deprived in Vancouver! ;o)

Right - off to bed it is - as tomorrow has got to be another incredibly productive day before I head home to Vancouver

No comments: