Tuesday 21 August 2007

Random thoughts

Today feels like it's been a long day - and yet when I look at the list of accomplished things, I've not done all that much :o| ... but I also can't say I wasn't productive ;o) ... yes one of those!
All sorts of thoughts have been pushing and shoving around in swirls in my head. I've been thinking about my family lots -- as my brother just headed out to Geneva to be briefed on his new mission in Sri Lanka. He should land into Colombo some time this weekend -- and then head out to Ampara on the East coast sometime next week. Of course I am anxious -- but I must admit that after Afghanistan and the Sudan and having spent a little time in Sri Lanka, this feels much more 'normal' - whatever that may mean in the context of humanitarian aid! I miss him heaps -- it's been over a year now since I last saw him; feels like much longer given how communication whilst he was in the Sudan was rather difficult at best. And although I am glad he got to spend about two months in Europe and thus enjoy 'home' with mom and dad in Montpellier and quality times with the lil sista, I can't feel but a pinch in the heart that I wasn't so lucky. Will just have to make sure I suppose that I absolutely capitalise and maximise on my own sisterly quality time next time I see him ;o)

The sun was out today though -- making sure sad thoughts didn't prevail ... even making me smile :o) beams feeling nice on my skin when I strolled to the bus stop on my way downtown to treat myself (finally!!) to the Monet to Dali exhibit
Neil and I have wanted to go see it for a while -- yet something always came up. It was nice to go in the afternoon too as, though it was crowded, it wasn't crazily packed - which would have made reading of any of the sign postings next to the paintings impossible to read whilst squished between 5-6 people all the while trying to not obscure other people's view of the paintings themselves! Why is it that they make those signs so RIDICULOUSLY MALL????? Ever heard of BIG FONTS?! ;o)

I am constantly on the lookout for good books - right now I am reading this crazy novel (Paddle to the Amazon by Sarkell and Wilkins) about a dad and his two sons (later one of them quit) who decided to canoe all the way from Winnipeg all the way to Belem via the Rio Negro!!! I kid you not!
However, on the more intellectual shall we say side of things, dad has just sent me a review that inspired me to get the following book - Bottom billion: Why the poorest countries are failing and what can be done about it by Paul Collier. If you want a review of the NYT article - go to page 7
This paragraph was the reason why I want to go out and get it - "The Bottom Billion" stands on a foundation of painstaking quantitative research, and it is admirably succinct and pithily written. If Sachs seems too saintly and Easterly too cynical, then Collier is the authentic old Africa hand: he knows the terrain and has a keen ear. If you've ever found yourself on one side or the other of the arguments about causes and remedies for development problems then you simply must read this book.

Right - I better go make dinner, stop trying to find reasons not to devote my life to Ecopath and get some work done ;o)
Oh but before I go check this out - Vancouver, has for the 5th time in a row been voted the most livable city to live in worldwide by the Economist magazine. This was kindly forwarded by my friend Ahmed who's sillily decided to move out to St John -- bahh we'll find ways to lure him back ;o)


No comments: